Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Sports Bucket List

So, the fact that you are reading this now was made possible by the fact that "the Rapture" on May 21st didn't actually happen.  No major earthquakes, no major eruptions, and no end of the world.  It did get me thinking, however, about an "end of the world" sports bucket list.  If you knew the end of the world was coming, say in 2012, what sporting events would you really like to be a part of before that day came?

Everyone's list would be different, and here's where comments would be very welcome.  For me, I have a couple of things in sports I have not been in attendance for that I would make a part of that sports bucket list.  Fortunately, I was able to cross a couple of my list three years ago, when I visited both old Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park for games between the Yankees and Red Sox.  I've had the great fortune of being to two World Series in 1987 and 1991.  I attended the Super Bowl in 1992, and have also been to one Stanley Cup hockey game.  I've been lucky to have a couple of things on anyone's sports bucket list crossed off early.  Here are my current top three, in no particular order:

The Masters - Golf's greatest tournament, at one of it's most revered courses.  There's something very majestic about Augusta National that other courses can never provide.  The history of the tournament, coupled with the sheer perfection of the course itself make for a combination that would be almost a once-in-a-lifetime event.  This one is definitely on the list!

The Indianapolis 500 - I've been a fan of this race from the time I was growing up.  It's been a tradition in my family to sit and watch this race every Memorial weekend.  The view from the couch is a nice one, getting to see all of the action as it unfolds, but there would be nothing like the feeling of being there, hearing the roar of the engines as they race past you at 227 miles per hour.  The pageantry of the greatest open-wheel race of the year, the tradition of the track itself, make for great story lines every year.  I've had the fortune of visiting the Indianapolis Motor Speedway a couple of years ago, and taking a tour of the track and museum, but have never been in attendance for the race.  It's definitely something I would thoroughly enjoy!

North Carolina vs Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium - The Duke Blue Devils have an amazing fan base. When you watch this game on television, you get the sense that the arena just never quiets down.  The "Cameron Crazies" bounce up and down, chant loudly, and cheer every possession like it's the end of the game.  That's an atmosphere I would love to experience just one time.  Having attended a small, private college, I never had the fortune of having a team like this to cheer for.  This is one of the greatest rivalries in sports, and would be a great game to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment