Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The LiriaNo-No

After Game 1 of the 2010 National League Division Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Cincinnati Reds, in which Roy Halladay no-hit the Reds...I began to debate with myself.  The question I posed to myself was: What was more impressive...Halladay's Division Series no-no, Don Larson's perfect game back in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series, or Jack Morris's 10-inning Game 7 clinching performance in the 1991 World Series?  I think it's safe to say that anyone can make a legitimate case for each of those three, (with my personal opinion being Morris's Game 7 performance, just based on the situation and all that was riding on it.)

After watching the first no-hitter of the 2011 season, thrown by Minnesota Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano...I began another debate with myself.

Does it ever matter how pretty a no-hitter is?

Liriano entered the game with a 9.13 ERA, and had just come off a start against the Tampa Bay Rays six days earlier in which he allowed five consecutive hits to start the game, leading to four quick runs.  He seemingly couldn't throw anything WOULDN'T get hit.  After 123 pitches on Tuesday night against the Chicago White Sox, Liriano had thrown his first career shut-out, his first career complete game, and his first career no-hitter.  During his post-game interview, he was asked when he started to think about it.  Liriano said it wasn't until the eighth inning that he realized it because...and I'm paraphrasing here..."there were so many guys on base all night that I didn't realize I hadn't given up any hits."

So, again I ask...Does it matter how pretty it is?

On the surface, if I were to tell you that only one White Sox hitter reach second base, and that was via a walk and a stolen base...you'd probably be pretty darn impressed.  But...of the 123 pitches Liriano threw Tuesday night...only 66 were strikes.  That's only He walked six White Sox hitters in what was, in all reality, a somewhat sloppy pitching performance.  Some might say that Liriano was just being "careful" or was "staying away" from certain hitters.  If that were the case...then why were three of those six walks issued to the lead-off hitter, Juan Pierre...easily the fastest player on Chicago's roster.  In a 1-0 ball game...probably not the smartest idea.  And, given Liriano's 2011 season thus far, control doesn't seem to be a strong suit...so the idea that those walks may have been by design...not very likely.

All things considered, I think any pitcher would take a no-hitter while walking six batters...opposed to a 1-0 victory while allowing six hits.  That's a no-brainer.  Any no-hitter on the winning side is great, pretty or not.  But, if you're a Twins fan and are a little bothered by the "ugliness" of Francisco Liriano's performance...it could've been a worse, just talk to Andy Hawkins  Back in 1990, Hawkins threw a no-hitter for New York Yankees against those same White Sox...but ended up losing the game, 4-0...the result of four errors by his defense.  I think I'll take the six walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment