Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Hall Of Fame Debate

One of the greatest things about the sport of baseball, as I mentioned in an earlier post, is that there are countless debates that can take place.  Some are team driven, some are more geared around the players themselves.  There is one debate that I frequently engage in with a few different friends.  I guess it's more of a conversation than a debate, but depending on the names mentioned, it could be both.

When their time comes, who will get the call from Cooperstown and be enshrined in baseball's Hall of Fame?  For those of you that know, this year's induction class caused a bit of a stir amongst some, with long-time snub Bert Blyleven finally getting the nod after 14 years on the ballot.  The controversy begins with a simple question: What made Bert good enough this year to be inducted, and not good enough in previous years?  He hasn't pitched since 1992.  What made him better now than any of the previous 13 years?  Nothing.  That's the answer.

The idea of a "first ballot" Hall of Famer is a novel concept, but given the way the writers actually seem to vote, just getting in, whether it be year one or year fourteen, is an honor in and of itself.  So, which players still playing today (or having retired within the last five years) should be in the Hall of Fame?

Before I go through the players I believe deserve induction into Cooperstown, I first want to say that I am one that is in favor of allowing those players suspected of using performance-enhancing drugs into the Hall of Fame.  Why?  Regardless of whether those players either tested positive, admit to using, or have flat out denied using performance-enhancing drugs, they are all still major game-changing players in the recent era of baseball.  The Hall of Fame should recognize those players, but do so with no fanfare, no ceremony, and by notating their plaques with something designating their complicity in that form of cheating.  For me, whether he used or not, Barry Bonds still holds the all-time Major League Baseball home run record, and should be enshrined in Cooperstown, with a plaque that indicates that his "record" occurred during years he has been suspected of using a performance-enhancing substance.

With that all said, here are the players I believe should be inducted into the Hall of Fame when their time comes:

Players suspected of, or admitting to, using PED's:
Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Manny Ramirez, Rafael Palmeiro, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, Ivan Rodriguez

Players I would consider "First Ballot Hall of Famers":
Greg Maddox, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Trevor Hoffman, Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay, Ichiro Suzuki,

Players I believe will make it, but in later years on the ballot:
Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Tom Glavine, Jorge Posada, Mike Piazza, Chipper Jones, Jeff Kent, John Smoltz,

Players I believe have a shot to make it, but too soon in their careers to tell:
Joe Mauer, C.C. Sabathia, Dustin Pedroia, Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeira, Miguel Cabrera, Tim Lincecum

So...here's what I'm looking for:  Debate!  Some of these I know you agree with...and some, I know you find probably ridiculous.  There are probably a few others that I may have even left off, in your opinion.  If you have issue with any, let me make my case.  If you disagree, let me hear it!!

***Addition***
After consulting a good friend of mine, I realized there were a few omissions from the above list.  Andy Pettitte is a player that should be included in the PED category.  Under the "First Ballot" HOF'ers, Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr. should be included.  Also, under the "Later Years" category, Frank Thomas was left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment